Saturday, May 16, 2009

Teen Drinking, Is It The Norm?

I chose to do this blog because I not only do I think that I have a good amount of knowledge on this topic being that I am a freshman in college and also because I was just wanted to raise some awareness of this topic. Drinking has always been a big thing in America, even during the times of prohibition, drinking still flourished because people found there way around the law and because there was always alcohol available even though it was illegal. The same goes for today. Although drinking is legal at this point of time in America, It is not for a certain age group, and the group I am talking about is teenagers. This group of people, just like the people during the times of prohibition, have found away to obtain and drink alcohol despite the law that frowns upon it. Drinking is so common for teenagers because it is virtually at any given party that you go to and because it makes the night that much crazier and more wild. People at this age aren't really looking to have a romantic dinner at night, or go for long walks on the beach, they are looking to get wild and party and this is exactly what alcohol helps to achieve. In my eyes, I do not even see this ever changing because there is no way to stop it no matter what the law or people try to enforce. 
Obtaining alcohol is definitely not the issue because many teens have fake i.d.'s or many teens have freinds that are of legal age to drink that help get them the alcohol. This will never change though because there is no way to stop it. Furthermore, I cannot be the only one aware of this, in fact I am not the only one aware of this because i know vast amounts of parents and adults that know about this and are fine with this because this is what they did when they were at that age so it really does not seemed to have been a big issue for anymore except the law enforcement, and they cannot even enforce it. It is like a cycle that seems to be on going that is always going to remain. I do question the law sometimes though because anyone who is 18 years old is allowed to vote, enlist in the military and die for ones country, serve jury duty, pay taxes, and in the state of California, a 14 year old can even have an abortion without telling her parents. What constitutes someone who is 18 to be eligible of all this but not sound of mind to drink? Well, who knows, it does not really matter to me, i am just making the subject more aware to people. I have contemplated if anything would change if they the law lowered the drinking age to 18, but I could not really come up with an answer because I do not necessarily think it is a solution, rather something that makes legal the inevitable. That could help or hurt our country but I think in the long run it would be fine. 
Point being is that alcohol has just consumed teens from the ages of 17-20 and everybody knows about it but does not really take action in putting an end to it. It is an ongoing cycle that seems to keep repeating as the years go on. It was arguably the most renown trend in America is you look closely at the topic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment